Year of the Outback Bond
To celebrate the Year of the Outback in 2002, a special Sister Council relationship was formed between Campbelltown City Council in Western Sydney and Coonamble Shire. This friendship was such a success that it has been extended beyond the Year of the Outback and is now permanent.
During the Sister Council relationship the following has occurred:
- Program of events developed
- Staff member exchange
- For information about the committee, please call the Tourism Development Manager on (02) 6827 1900
- For more information about Campbelltown, visit www.campbelltown.nsw.gov.au
- An environmental display was held in Campbelltown (during Western Sydney Environment Week) that focussed on Coonamble, the Macquarie Marshes, the Warrumbungle’s and the Pilliga State Forest
- Guests from Coonamble attend the Campbelltown City Mayoral Ball.
- A Campbelltown vs Coonamble Rugby Match which featured local rugby groups from both areas was held in Coonamble.
- Campbelltown Week in Coonamble which featured a number of events, activities and displays.
- Coonamble Week in Campbelltown which featured a photographic exhibition at the Campbelltown Visitor Information Centre ‘Quondong’.
- A special commemorative bus trip and tour was organised for Campbelltown residents to visit Coonamble for the Coonamble Gold Cup.
- An art exchange program was held which showcased artists from each Sister City area. A delegation from Coonamble participated in Campbelltown City’s Festival of Fisher’s Ghost celebrations.
- Campbelltown visual artist Falaka Yimar visited Coonamble and conducted a full week of workshops involving printmaking, drawing and painting.
- A delegation from Campbelltown visited Coonamble to coincide with the 150th anniversary of Coonamble Shire.
- An art display was held in Campbelltown in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of the Campbelltown City Festival of Fisher’s Ghost.
- Several delegations from Campbelltown have visited Coonamble for the Coonamble Rodeo and Campdraft, the largest combined event in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Local art exhibited at the Festival of Fishers Ghost celebrations, Campbelltown. Sponsorship agreements (Coonamble of the Festival of Fishers Ghost and by Campbelltown of the Coonamble Rodeo and Campdraft)
For information about the committee, please call the Tourism Development Manager on (02) 6827 1900.
For more information about Campbelltown, visit www.campbelltown.nsw.gov.au