The Coonamble and District Archive Centre is a purpose built facility. This underground construction, situated beneath the Coonamble Shire Council Chambers, offers maximum security for records which are stored according to best archival practice.
Much of Coonamble's heritage has been lost by fire, flood, relocation and demolition. It is imperative that remaining and newly created records are preserved for the benefit of future generations. The Coonamble District Archive Centre has been created to preserve the records of: local organisations, businesses present and former residents of the district, the Coonamble Shire Council and the former Municipal and Wingadee Shire Councils, and historical records relating to the area.
The records are available (by appointment) to the public for research and educational purposes and the promote an historical appreciation of Coonamble and District. The collection contains a comprehensive set of the Coonamble Times Newspaper form 1951 to 2007 with intermittent earlier copies available. Central to the collection is the Neville Owen Photographic Collection containing hundreds of reproduction photographs of early Coonamble life and more than 200,000 negatives of people and places connected to the area. Photographs from the collection are available for purchase.
An index to the collection is currently being developed. Only limited research can be undertaken on behalf of enquirers. Donations of material and new committee members are always welcome.
80 Castlereagh Street COONAMBLE NSW 2829
C/- Coonamble Shire Council PO Box 249
COONAMBLE NSW 2829
Coonamble Family History Society
- Dr Carol Liston and Cynthia Foley
- HONORARY LIFE MEMBER
- Edie Hodgson-Jerrett & Helen Glover
- Alana Hall
- Tara White
- Vicky Fulmer
- Vicky Fulmer
- RESEARCH OFFICERS
- Tara White (0423 765 938), Alana Hall, Terry Anne Plain
- NEWSLETTER EDITOR
POSTAL ADDRESS: PO Box 452, Coonamble NSW 2829
Membership and Meetings
Open to everyone by paying an annual (July-June) subscription of $20. Plus $5.00 Joining Fee. Membership entitles members access to all CFHS records and to receive two newsletters “Trickles From The Castlereagh”, in addition to free advertising of research interest in our newsletters.
- Bi-annual meetings, April and October each year (the third Monday of the month).
- Castlereagh Centre, 84 Castlereagh Street, Coonamble - Next door to the Coonamble Visitor Information Centre.
- Held on the third Friday in July at 2pm.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- As the Family History Society is an organisation of volunteers with limited time available, please allow a week for a response.
If you would like to order 'The Vision Splendid' - A history of Coonamble please download the order form below
Gulargambone Historical Society
Contact: Mrs. Nancy Byrne, "Inglewarra", Gulargambone NSW 2828 (02) 6825 1032
The society has a number of publications for sale which include:
- "PIONEERS and PERSONALITIES"
- A record of burials in marked and unmarked graves in the Gulargambone Cemetery from 1881 - 1995
- Researched and compiled by Margery Lambell and Nancy Byrne
- Cost: $20 plus postage costs (Postbag - $1.10)
- Hard cover book weight in postbag - .711 grams
- Over 500 grams postal charges for distance varies according to postcodes
- Gular/Sydney $8; to Queensland $10.50; Victoria $10.25; Tasmania $ 11.55
History of the Coonamble Jockey Club
The first race meetings in the Coonamble district were held in the 1860s on Patrick McMahon’s Geanmoney run, which extended from the present aerodrome area to Combara, on the western side of the Castlereagh River. These race meetings were informal affairs organised among friends who had travelled to town on horse back. Later the group started a Jockey Club and raced at a track which encircled the old cemetery which was situated on the eastern end of Warrena Street.
Within 10years there were 40 horses stabled in Coonamble for local race meetings held on surrounding properties. In 1878 the site of the present racecourse was approved and a grandstand built. The very first recorded Gold Cup was held in 1910 followed by a second one in 1911. There are no records of further gold cups until 1959.
The meetings from 1959 were run as an important event in the Coonamble Wool Festival. The meetings of the 1960s and 1970s were big affairs, attracting Sydney horses and jockeys for the Monday meet. Since 1959, the Gold Cup meetings have been a yearly event, except for two rain and one Equine Influenza virus interruptions. The 1969 Coonamble Gold Cup race meeting was abandoned due to wet weather. However, the local community and the many visitors (including Sydney and Provincial owners, trainers and jockeys) were not completely disappointed. The Coonamble Jockey Club president, Mr Edward Kennedy (“Kensington”) had nominated his impressive horse “Transit” in the cup and Warwick Farm trainer John Poletti was quite confident his horse, “Opening Duel” could win the prestigious event. After much banter about whose horse would have won the race, they decided to settle this matter by challenging one another to a foot race down the main street of Coonamble. John Poletti won the race, however legend has it that Kennedy suffered a fall, thus making it an easy win for his opposition.
The 2007 Gold Cup was not held because the racing industry was in lockdown because of the Equine Influenza outbreak.
The 2008 Gold Cup was won by Miss Alberta and, in 2009, the Muswellbrook-trained Newton’s Rings won the 2009 Gold Cup with Hari Singh on board.
Download the full list of Gold Cup winners below
Gold Cup Prevous Winners (25 KB)