Quambone is a small village situated 55 kilometres West of Coonamble and 18 Kilometres from the Macquarie Marshes. Quambone has a small two teacher school set in pleasant surroundings, Australia's smallest library, two churches, a friendly Hotel/Motel and General Store/Post Office.
The Macquarie Marshes are recognised as a major colonial waterbird nesting area in Australia. They are approximately 100kms long, 25-30kms wide and cover 200,000 hectares.Several sites are Ramsar listed (recognised under the Ramsar Convention as a Wetland of International importance) and include the Macquarie Marshes Nature Reserve, the Wilgara Wetlands, and “U-Block” on “The Mole”.
Where are the Marshes?
The Macquarie Marshes (Bird Viewing Platform site) are located on the Gibson Way, approximately 73km West of Coonamble near Quambone and 100km North of Warren. The National Parks & Wildlife Service (NPWS) Nature Reserve (Northern site entry) is located on the Warren/Carinda Road. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD MAP.
It is highly recommended that you contact the Coonamble Visitor Information Centre on (02) 6827 1923 to check the road conditions before you plan your trip as the Marshes are located on unsealed roads prone to flooding.
Approximately 90% of the Macquarie Marshes wetlands are owned by private landholders with the remaining 10% located on the NPWS Nature Reserve. Apart from the October Long Weekend Open Day the Nature Reserve is only accessible by appointment. The only publicly accessible site in the Macquarie Marshes is the Bird Viewing Platform which is located on the Gibson’s Way.
Bird Viewing Platform
The Macquarie Marshes Bird Viewing Platform is situated approximately 18km from Quambone on the Gibson Way and provides the perfect opportunity to witness native birdlife in action. The best viewing times are early morning or late afternoon. To get there from Coonamble take the Carina Rd then turn left onto the Gibson Way.
Above: Watch native birdlife from the Bird Viewing Platform (Neville Owen Photography)
Above: Spoonbills in the Macquarie Marshes
Willie Retreat offers accommodation and educational facilities close to the Macquarie Marshes. It is an ideal base for school and university groups to stay and conduct research on the wetlands. Willie Retreat operator Myra Tolhurst is a renowned wildlife enthusiast - don't be startled by her pet emus, cows, kangaroos or goats on arrival! For bookings contact 02 6824 4361.
Quambone Primitive Campsite
Quambone Primitive Campsite is a free campsite located in Mungie Street, Quambone next to the Quambone Public School. It is also situated close to the local swimming pool, tennis courts and sports oval. Utilities include potable water, garbage bins, toilets and a fire pit for campfires. Please call the Coonamble Visitor Centre on 6827 1923 for further information.
Marthaguy Picnic Races
The annual Marthaguy Picnic Races held at the Quambone Racecourse is one of the biggest social calendar events of the year. It is a great opportunity to get frocked up and socialise with Fashions on the Field, and full bar and betting facilties.
Above: Artists impression of Marthaguy Races (Peter Browne)