Frequently Asked Questions

The following information relates to the most common questions Council receives in relation to development/building work in the Coonamble Local Government Area. In many cases, it will be necessary to engage the services of a consultant or contractor to guide you through the process.

Do I need Development Approval?

In most cases you will need to apply for approval to build. The first place to look is the zoning of the block and the land use developments that are permissible without consent. If your type of development is not listed, it is likely that you will need approval.

There are instances under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (‘SEPP’) which outlines types of development that are exempt development. The SEPP will provide the types of development standards you must consider before proceeding with your exempt development.

Certain types of minor developments, such as fences, pergolas, barbeques are considered exempt development and, thus, do not need Council approval.

Alternatively, the SEPP also provides provisions for complying development. Complying developments still require Council approval but are fast-tracked through the approval process.

It is your responsibility to determine whether you need approval.

How much will it cost?

Council’s fees and charges for the Development Application process are listed in our schedule of Fees and Charges.

Fees are generally based around the cost of the development proposal for Development Applications. They are calculated based on the size and complexity of a proposal for Construction Certificates and Complying Development Certificates.

Council must verify the estimated costs. Underquoting development costs is not recommended. Penalties could apply from the NSW Government if developments are under-quoted.

Council will only provide actual costs of a Development Application once it is submitted through the NSW Planning Portal and the application has passed Council’s Completeness Check.

Can I start work before I get approval?


It is an offence under the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 to commence work before Development Consent and a Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate have been issued.

How long does Development Application approval take?

In general, approval is generally given within the legislated timeframe of 40 days. Council has updated a number of its internal processes to streamline Development Applications through the NSW Planning Portal, meaning that development applications are generally approved within two weeks of acceptance.

Some of the reasons why applicants may feel an application is taking longer than it should can be attributed to:

It is often worthwhile to engage a consultant or draftsperson to assist you with the above documentation.

Is my land located in a bushfire prone area?

Some parts of the Coonamble Local Government Area are prone to bushfires. Information can be obtained through a Planning Certificate 10.7(2) or you can also view bushfire prone mapping through the NSW Planning Portal. Further information on bushfire protection may also be obtained from the NSW Rural Fire Service.

How do I register my swimming pool?

Swimming pools must be registered under the Swimming Pool Act 1992. Pools built in different years will have different requirements. If you own a swimming pool and it is not registered, there are two parts that will apply to you to have your swimming pool registered and to ensure that it is compliant to the relevant standards and requirements.

Swimming pool compliance certificates are required if you need to sell a property with a swimming pool or spa. The owner must have a Certificate of Compliance, a Certificate of Non-Compliance or a valid Occupation Certificate for the pool. Further details are available here.

What happens if I have done illegal building works?

Council thanks you for acknowledging this question. Council views illegal building works or failures to comply with the terms and conditions of Development Consent as extremely serious. In the first instance, contact Council immediately on (02) 6827 1900 to notify relevant officers of this issue.

Individuals may feel that illegal building works are not an issue for them. Aside from the penalties that could be pursued under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, there are other implications that individuals may not have thought about when carrying out the illegal building works. These include:

I think my neighbour is doing illegal building works

If you are a neighbour or have observed illegal building working occurring in our community, we encourage you to report this matter to Council by phoning (02) 6827 1900.