Step 1 – Find Out

Do I need approval?

In most cases, you will need to submit a development application. First, check the zoning of your block and the land uses that are considered exempt development.

You can find the types of exempt development in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (SEPP) or through the Coonamble Local Environmental Plan 2011.  The State Environmental Planning Policy will provide the types of development standards you must consider before proceeding with your development.

Certain minor developments, such as fences, pergolas and barbeques, are considered Exempt Development and thus do not need Council approval.

If your type of development is not listed, you will likely need approval.

The State Environmental Planning Policy also provides provisions for Complying Development. Complying development still needs Council approval but such applications are fast-tracked through the approval process.

It is your responsibility to determine whether you need approval.

What can I build on my property?

Building within your property’s zoning guidelines is subject to approval from Council. You can find the zoning of your land through the NSW Planning Portal, and each zone lists the land uses that are allowed.

If in doubt, you are encouraged to apply for a Planning Certificate 10.7(2). A planning certificate lists the zoning for your property.

Please download and submit a Property Information Inquiry Form (available as a PDF and as a Word document):

What type of approval do I need? (H3) 

Development Approval:

If your proposed development does not fall under the categories of Exempt Development or Complying Development as listed below – then you will need to submit a Development Application. A Development Application is a formal request for consent to undertake development on your land. 

To be successful in gaining approval for your Development Application, it needs to comply with all the relevant local, state and federal planning laws that are in place to manage the social, economic and environmental impacts of your proposed development. The laws exist to ensure your development has no negative impact on the environment or neighbours. They also protect the overall look of the local landscape. 

All Development Applications must be submitted through the NSW Planning Portal. 

Once you receive your development approval, in most instances you will need to apply for a construction certificate.

Exempt Development:

Exempt Development is minor renovations and low-impact works that you do not need planning or construction approval. 

You can see if your project meets the specific standards by checking the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008

In some situations, you cannot proceed with Exempt Development; these include environmentally sensitive areas, bush fire prone land, or within heritage areas. Landowners are responsible to ensure their land and planned development meet the specified development standards and land requirements before commencing work. 

Complying Development:

Complying Development is any development with predictable and manageable environmental impact and can be certified as complying with predetermined standards. A Complying Development Certificate (CDC) can be issued either by Council or an Accredited Certifier.

Proposals complying with the development standards nominated under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 will receive a Complying Development Certificate.